minutes

Meeting Notes: April 17th, 2018

BOULDER COUNTY VOAD

QUARTERLY MEETING #2

17 APRIL 2018 / 3:00 PM / LONGMONT HUMANE SOCIETY

ATTENDEES

Rhea Moriarity (Longmont Humane Society), Sara Spensieri (Boulder County Sheriff’s Office Animal Control & ESF 21), Joycelyn Fankhouser (Boulder County HHS & ESF 6 Lead), Aaron Titus (VOAD Co-Chair, Crisis Cleanup, LDS Charities), Craig Schmidle (VOAD Chair), Liz Smokowski (Longmont Humane Society), Ron Collins (Red Cross), Richard Brandon (Mountain Health Collaborative), Jenny Tierney (Red Cross), Janette Taylor (Nederland Food Pantry, also writing emergency plan for Nederland-area nonprofits), Jerry Schmidt (Boulder County ARES), Mary Eldred (Boulder County Community Services & ESF 19), Joyce Glazier (PDA, VOAD Officer At-Large), Chris Current (Nederland Food Pantry), Barbara Brown, Karen Hammer,  & Clark Myers (Medical Reserve Corps), Stephanie Walton (VOAD Officer At-Large, Foothills United Way & ESF 19), Joan Cernich (Red Cross), Andrew Notbohm (OEM), Bob Barnaby (Volunteer with OEM, Hygiene Fire, Team Rubicon)

AGENDA

Learning About Animal Evacuations in Boulder County

  • Presenters: Sara Spensieri and Liz Smokowski
  • Topics: Procedures, Capacity, Partnerships, Use of Volunteers (This was a great session! For full information, see discussion section below)

BoCo VOAD Communications Discussion

  • The Boulder County VOAD still maintains its communications plan, which is available on the website. Contact tiernan.doyle@unitedwayfoothills.org with any questions or concerns.
  • The VOAD network encourages its members to be aware of their own internal communications plans for a disaster. If VOAD members need backup communications support or planning, then contact Craig about Amateur Radio Emergency Services. The ARES network is very robust and you can even map the HAMs closest to you.  

Next BoCo VOAD Meeting

  • Tuesday, July 17th from 3:00 to 5:00. Location TBD
  • Topic: Badging and Credentialing of Volunteers/Organizations

BoCo VOAD Member Updates

  • Medical Reserve Corps is looking for volunteers (all types of volunteers); will be certified in CPR, etc. There is lots of need, lots of requirements, lots of different opportunities
  • Foothills United Way has 2-1-1 services in the community; add your organization to the list. And Better Together Community Resilience classes are now scheduled. Contact Tiernan for more information
  • Richard Brandon represents Mountain Health Collaborative (created by Amy Skinner at Peak to Peak Counseling). They have 15 volunteers ready in Nederland to be first response for those who need mental health assistance when there is an event; volunteers will be trained through MRC or Red Cross to be providing mental health services
  • Lifebridge Church is putting together a trained disaster response group to respond during a disaster; will be able to shelter 250 people; will be using multiple groups to train to respond.

ACTION ITEMS

  1. The VOAD is looking to expand membership to make sure we are covering needs and different communities around the county. Think about the following questions and send your responses along to Tiernan and Craig: Who should be a part of VOAD? Who hasn’t been attending meetings and should be? What connections do you have that would be of use for the Boulder County VOAD?
  2. Would anyone be willing to be a VOAD liaison? This position is the front line of contact during an emergency and helps to coordinate communication between VOAD officers and Boulder County HHS. Contact Tiernan if you have even the slightest bit of interest (tiernan@bocostrong.org)
  3. What volunteer opportunities exist in your organization? What skill sets are you looking for? If there are specific gaps in your volunteer pool or needs that you have then please send that information to Craig. He is working on increasing connections between VOAD members.

DISCUSSION NOTES

Boulder County Animal Control

Process

  • Boulder County Animal Control lives in the Sheriff’s Office.
  • The agency is tasked with enforcing ordinances and assisting the public. People are number one during an emergency, animals come second
  • Animal Control’s first role is as first responder; when Emergency Center opens or backup comes then they switch to focusing on animals
  • Their main work during a disaster is animal evacuations. Residents of the county will call 911 or the EOC to request an evacuation. The requester is put on a list and prioritized by whether the area is safe or not.
  • If animal control needs help, or needs to go into unsafe areas, they will contact local fire departments to assist with animal evacuation – Animal Control officers are not red carded.
  • Sheltering in place is possible for large animals if they are not in danger. Animal Control does feeding for animals that remain at home (possible place for credentialed volunteers to play a role) and will check on animals twice a day
  • If they must be evacuated, large animals are sheltered at the Boulder County Fairgrounds. If possible, the campground next to the fairgrounds will also be opened so people can stay there and care for their own large animals
  • Boulder County is also working on agreements and facilities at the Gilpin County Fairgrounds since that is easier to access for some mountain communities during an incident. Boulder already has an agreement with Larimer County to take animals to the Ranch in Loveland

Partners

  • Animal Control is ESF 21. They work closely with the Office of Emergency Management and rely heavily on the call center at the EOC. The department also works with the staff of ESF 6, the Salvation Army, Red Cross, etc. and stays  in close contact with everyone at EOC
  • Code3 Associates provides assistance with major disasters. They are professionally trained animal rescue non-profit and they also provide trainings to others
  • Mounted Search and Rescue provides volunteers
  • Boulder County Horse Association provides volunteers

Capacity

  • Sheriff’s Office has 4 officers with Sara as supervisor
  • There are 15 animal control officers total in Boulder County, including county and individual municipalities
  • Shelters can’t have an officer assigned to them – there are simply not enough people
  • Emergency trailers have been provided to South Boulder Rec Center and YMCA to hold supplies (food and water) so there can be co-locating in shelters (Just for small companion animals – no large animal)
  • If shelters won’t accept animals, then animal control will transport animals to the humane society
  • Animal Control also helps with recovery after an incident if animal doesn’t make it through

Volunteers

  • Animal Control is looking at creating their own volunteer team for large animal evacuations. Through the sheriff’s office, they have piloted an Animal Evacuation Team by working with volunteers from Mounted Search and Rescue and Boulder County Horseman Association.
  • While volunteers are currently recruited from those organizations, Animal Control would like to develop more trainings and guidelines of their own. Once the liability waivers and all the requirements have been established then they will open the sheriff’s team to the public
  • Currently, the Animal Evacuation Team is on call through Everbridge (piloted in 2017)
  • Accepted volunteers have ICS training and trucks and trailers that have been examined by the sheriff’s office. They must be escorted by sheriff’s department when behind the incident line.
  • If not already part of the team, Animal Control tries to direct those wishing to volunteer to the Parks Office, Mounted Search and Rescue, or some other organization that accept volunteers
  • Jefferson County is really on top of animal evacuations because they have Front Range Rescue (501c3 centered on animals). There is nothing like that in Boulder County, but a stronger volunteer corp would help

 

Longmont Humane Society

Process

  • During a disaster there will be an emergency hold/impound at the Humane Society that is at no cost to the homeowner. This lasts for the duration of the incident and then the owner is given 24 hours to get settled before the Humane Society starts calling. There is approximately a 30 day limit for animals to stay at the shelter
  • The Humane Society tries to coordinate things as well as possible with Animal Control, but local residents can also go directly to the Humane Society to leave their pets without waiting for animal control
  • Look on Facebook and social media for what the Humane Society actually wants donated
  • Day to day operations change slightly during a disaster, but the Humane Society still operates under Department of Agriculture regulations

Capacity

  • The Humane Society only takes companion animals – up to great dane/small horse size
  • The Humane Society also accepts donations from the community. Some donations will be given out to other organizations, others are used for animals sheltering there.  
  • The Humane Society is a drop off location; staff doesn’t go out and retrieve donations
  • Humane Society will extend hours during disaster, but does not stay open 24/7 (though Animal Control has access 24/7)
  • Can increase capacity by transferring animals to local rescue groups (Dumb Friends League, etc) or other Humane Societies
  • There is  a pet food pantry for homeless pets at Longmont Humane in addition to the county-wide pantry

Volunteers

  • The Humane Society offers a spectrum of activities to volunteers – Longmont and Boulder Valley share volunteers back and forth. The Humane society can take 25-40 spontaneous volunteers to help with laundry, sorting donations, etc.
  • Foster homes are a key part of ongoing volunteerism. People foster throughout the year and specialize in different areas.
  • It is somewhat difficult to take on new foster homes during a disaster because homes have to be inspected by staff. But there are currently 80 active foster homes; with another 100 potential homes if inspectors are available
  • The Humane Society creates a running list of places that are offering shelter around the area so after 30 days, owner can connect directly to farmers, etc. in the region. This would not be an official foster home of the Humane Society, but would be a neighbor to neighbor connection

Questions from the Audience

    • Can there be a temporary animal shelter side by side with a Red Cross shelter?
      • Yes and no. If there is a giant disaster and there is a big enough building that has ventilation, etc then a shelter could be set up. This is difficult to do since the building would need 24/7 security, cleaning, etc.
      • The best possibility is to call Code3 or SPCA or American Humane to see if they have capacity to set up a temporary shelter or help with transport in a major disaster
    • What happens if the evacuation shelter does not accept animals?
      • In Boulder County, if the shelter will not set up a co-location shelter, then Animal Control will transport animals to Humane Societies
    • What should the main messaging be about animals during a disaster?
      • Take animals to Humane Society and contact Animal Control through EOC if necessary

VOAD Committee Meetings

Behavioral Health/Spiritual and Emotional Care

Subcommittee for emotional and behavioral health have been meeting to formalize the voucher program so it is ready to go if there is a fund available. More news will be ready in July. Presentation from CU intern. Stephanie (stephanie.walton@unitedwayfoothills.org) and Joycelyn (jfankhouser@bouldercounty.org) are leading these efforts

 

April 19, 2018 / by / in
Meeting Notes: November 7th, 2017

November 7, 2017

Longmont Justice Center
3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Attendees:

  • Mary Eldred – Boulder County
  • Don Parcher – American Red Cross
  • Joyce Glazier – Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
  • Stephanie Walton – Foothills United Way
  • Aaron Titus – LDS Charities
  • Dennis Whalen – Nederland Food Pantry & Clothing Closet
  1. Boulder County VOAD Operations Manual
    1. Needs to send again to members for feedback
    2. Updates are needed to the website on the membership and contact page
  2. Capacity Survey
    1. Only 6 organizations have completed; request all members complete so the capabilities are known
  3. Committee Updates
    1. Volunteer Management Committee
      1. Meeting November 17, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m., at Foothills United Way
      2. Anyone interested in having their organization included are welcome to attend. Stephanie to send details to Joyce to share.
    2. Mental Health/Emotional and Spiritual Care Committee
      1. Work group continues to institutionalize the Disaster Mental Health Voucher program
      2. Future agenda item to discuss perhaps combining these groups. Seek guidance from the National VOAD guidelines and COVOAD.
  • Possible membership opportunity to include more faith-based organizations.
  1. Joyce to see if Boulder Faith Network is active, upon Linda’s departure.
  1. Elections
    1. Bylaws were consulted to establish quorum, and elections proceeded with the 5 members present.
    2. Floor opened to nominations. Slate introduced. No additional nominations.
      1. Chair – Craig Schmidle, Longmont CERT
      2. Co-Chair – Aaron Titus, LDS Charities
  • Secretary – Tiernan Doyle, BoCo Strong
  1. At-Large – Stephanie Walton, Foothills United Way
  2. At-Large – Joyce Glazier, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
  1. Motion to adopt slate by Don Parcher. Second by Dennis Whalen. Passed unanimously.
  2. Discussion: Bylaws indicate one person per member can be represented on the board, so pending merge of BoCo Strong and Foothills United Way might require future action.
  3. Craig Schmidle, Longmont CERT needs to confirm paperwork for membership has been filed.
  4. Thank you to Joyce and Mickey for their service on the board. And to Aaron and Tiernan for their continued service.
  1. Input to board for focus in 2018
    1. Resource and contact list – Don working on for ARC
    2. Aaron mentioned personal “dream” to build out self-cleaning capacities tool
    3. Review crisis cleanup
    4. Consider functional exercises
    5. Develop memberships and programs
    6. Review the Disaster Communications Plan and Operations Coordination Plan
  2. Announcements
      1. Event: COVOAD – General Meeting / Holiday Potluck
        1. Place: DHSEM – 9195 East Mineral Ave, Centennial, CO / SEOC Policy Room
        2. Date: December 5, 2017
        3. Time: 12:00pm – 2:00pm

        2. CEMA conference is looking for speakers – Conference is Feb 26 – March 1, at Hotel Elegante Conference & Event Center, 2886 S Circle Dr.,Colorado Springs, CO, 80906. Deadlines for speakers is November 13.

        The COVOAD annual meeting is expected to be on March 1. Details pending.

Next Meetings

  • A doodle poll will be sent to the network for a holiday happy hour.
  • The new board will meet to determine the calendar for 2018.

 

Adjourned at 4:30pm

Minutes submitted by Stephanie Walton

 

March 13, 2018 / by / in
Meeting Notes: August 15th, 2017

BoCo VOAD Meeting Minutes

August 15, 2017

Present:
Julie Phillips, Ian Anderson, Julie Kurzawa, Linda Drullinger, Lyn Heydt, Craig Schmidel, Mackenzie Boli, Cat, Stephanie Walton, Dennis Whalen, Rebecca Lawrence, Joyce Glazier, Joycelyn Fankhouser, Patrick VanHorne, Aimee Kane, Joe Callahan, Mike Moore, Cecil O’Farrell, Tiernan Doyle, Mary Eldred, Aaron Titus
Next meeting:
October 10th, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., location TBD

I.      Announcements and Discussion

 

Officer Updates

  1. Julie is stepping down as Chair
  2. According to the bylaws, the officers have appointed Joyce Glazier as Chair until November 2017 when elections will take place.

Volunteer Connections and presentation from Foothills United Way

  1. Turning SUVs into Affiliated Volunteers
    1. Volunteer Connections is an online tool that can be used by partner agencies to recruit volunteers before disaster
    2. Foothills United Way has an MOU with the county to coordinate Spontaneous Volunteers and Donations Management
      1. Four major areas
        1. Coordination through the EOC at ESF 19
        2. Creating a system to respond to SUVs
          1. Communications and updated information on needs
          2. Point of contact between ICS and SUVS
          3. Connections and assigning SUVs
        3. Identify state and national resources prepared to deploy
        4. Manage disaster fund donation capacity, financial gifts and in-kind donations
  2. Volunteer Connections can be used to identify and activate leads for future disasters
    1. VOAD member organizations can work to develop affiliated volunteers in partnership with Foothills United Way
    2. VOAD members can directly connect and affiliate prospective volunteers
  1. Action: Stephanie proposes convening a Volunteer Task Force with a timeline of 6 months to complete three objectives
    1. Develop and advise plan, protocols, and toolkit for SUVs
    2. Identify VOAD members who can affiliate volunteers during response and into recovery phases
    3. Create communication plan to communicate and coordinate with prospective volunteers upon sign-up and through recovery

Boulder County’s ESF 19 plan and coordination with the BoCo VOAD

  1. Boulder County connects volunteers and donations to needs on a very small scale basis
  2. Would like a database to send volunteers to when they call in to the EOC

Updates from any other volunteer management teams in Boulder County

  1. Team Rubicon needs a request from the City or County. They don’t deploy without a request from homeowner or government.
  2. East Boulder Baptist Church on Baseline and Lifebridge Church will take spontaneous volunteers during a disaster

Discussion on volunteer management and BoCo VOAD collaboration

  1. Consider training volunteer leads that can be responsible for projects before an event happens
  2. Use ongoing recruitment to keep volunteers engaged throughout the recovery process
  3. Consider how the BoCo VOAD will respond to emergent groups
    1. How does the BoCo VOAD establish trust with new groups

Update on Help Colorado Now

  1. Updates are in the works

Boulder County Family Assistance Center

  1. Working with Coroner’s Office and Sheriff’s Office to take lead in Family Assistance Center
    1. Similar to a Disaster Assistance Center, but created after a non-natural disaster (terrorism, mass shooting, etc.)
    2. Victim Advocates have been responding to shock events since the 1970s. They respond to events daily. Advocates from City and County of Boulder train together to respond to crises.
    3. Respond to criminal event within 10-30 minutes. Victim Advocates are dispatched to events in teams which can be scaled up as needed
    4. Family Assistance Center strives to connect people to resources within the community to help family members that need to identify bodies, deal with trauma, etc.
    5. No one will be allowed in without credentials as this is a central gathering point for people who are grieving
    6. Action: Think about how the VOAD would be able to assist with providing resources such as buildings, shelter, feeding, if a Family Assistance Center needs to be set up.
      1. The VOAD would also would be valuable to support community transition from short to longterm recovery
  • Other updates
    1. Emotional wellness committee is working on creating templates for messaging and monetary requests for mental health vouchers
    2. Boulder County Mental Health Partners will not be replacing Henry Mitchell’s position. Instead they have an MOU with Public Health to deploy therapists to meet the needs of the disaster.
  1. Events from around the area
    1. September 6th 1:00-3:00 COVOAD Meeting @ Church of Scientology in Denver
    2. September 16th 10:00-12:00 Longmont Preparedness Fair @ Boulder County Fairgrounds Barn A
    3. September 28th 8:30-5:00 BoCo Strong Resilience Summit @ the Boulder Jewish Community Center (6007 Oreg Ave, Boulder 80303)
    4. October 10th 3:00-5:00 VOAD Workshop: Connecting with Neighbors with Disabilities @ location TBD
    5. November 7th 3:00-5:00 VOAD Meeting @ location TBD

 

August 22, 2017 / by / in
Meeting Notes: May 2nd, 2017

BoCo VOAD
Meeting Minutes
May 2, 2017
Present: Julie Phillips, Stephanie Walton, Tiernan Doyle, Don Parcher, Joe
Callahan, Chris, Tamara Jenlink, Joycelyn Fankhouser, Mary Eldred,
Linda, Katie Arrington, Andrew Notbohm, Joyce Glazier, Karen Hada

Next meeting:
I. Announcements and Discussion
Nomination and Election

  • Member at large:  Joyce Glazier

Boulder County HHS

  • Joycelyn is mass care coordinator
  • Mary Eldred is volunteer and donations management
  • Coordinate with public health
  • Staff the EOC

DOC Liaison appointment

  • Tiernan Doyle
  • Linda Drullinger
  • Joyce Glazier

Communication plan to contact liaisons as well as Chair, and Tiernan
Working on a plan to streamline client intake process
DAC
Functional exercise in October to test communications plan
Field exercise

Communication Plan Notes

  • Amend communications plan to do the following
  • Initial point person for the first period of the incident, not the entire incident
  • Change the flow to Include a notification email of the incident to membership
  • Figure out the mechanism for the county contacting the liaison,
  • Call? Text? Everbridge? How do the officers get contacted?
  • Need to recruit members to help with communications
  • Learn website, email, social media etc.
  • Donations and volunteers
  • County is getting calls to dispatch and they are encouraging those people to sign
    up
  • Train dispatch on a response? Need a decided-upon avenue
  • Helpcoloradonow.com doesn’t go anywhere
  • Schedule a separate meeting to discuss spontaneous volunteers
August 21, 2017 / by / in
Meeting Notes: August 2nd 2016

BoCo VOAD Cold Springs Fire Debrief

Meeting Minutes

August 2, 2016

Present:

Lise Hildebrand, Tiernan Doyle, Julie Phillips, Aaron Titus, Mickey Ellenwood, Tamara Jenlink, Dennis Belz, Mike Moore, Don Parcher, Andrew Nothbom, Chris Campbell, Lisa Drullinger, Joe Callahan, Joyce, Joycelyn Fankhouser, Mary Eldred, Bernie Lodge

Next meeting:

August 2, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

 

  • Announcements

 

 

Overview of Cold Springs Fire response

  • Staffed the EOC for ESF 19/20
  • Held conference calls
    • Members in Nederland participated/communicated with support in Boulder/elsewhere
      • On the ground needs/not needs
  • Staffed the DAC
  • Launched Crisis Cleanup
  • Organized a select few volunteer activities
  • Monitoring social media
    • Community/Volunteer support

 

Boulder County Faith Network

  • Linda has gathered support in the form of gift cards for the fires
  • Pastor from Presbyterian Disaster Relief
    • Target, Ace hardware, etc.
  • Bernie (TSA) has offered to give more
  • Send out survey for individual capacity/services offered by churches

 

BoCo Strong Resilience Summit

  • September 22nd, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Community speakers on engagement
  • Resilience practice in Boulder County
  • Moving forward in the community, continuing collaboration
  • Resilience awards, submit nominations at bocostrong.org

 

  • Discussion

 

 

Cold Springs Fire response from VOAD

  • What went well
    • Collaboration
    • Communication between organizations and representatives
    • Implementation of lessons learned from previous disasters
    • Involvement with local/community leaders/practitioners
    • Focus on supporting local processes/cultural attentiveness
    • Communication with the COVOAD
  • To be improved
    • Getting feedback
    • Research on the impact of MHV program
    • Research on timeline of recovery—get information from community
    • Communication around feeding with volunteers
    • Identifying needs such as showers/water/sleeping quarters for volunteers prior to arrival
    • Education on resources available, communicate about issues before making decisions regarding other organizations’ resources
    • Better communication from law enforcement
      • Delays with signatures
      • Delays with checkpoints/communication within law enforcement
  • For the future
    • Build relationships with other local mental health professionals
    • Identify other local resources that can be supported by the VOAD
    • Have a communication plan for out-of-state affiliated volunteers/feeding
    • Identify other VOAD Members that can assist with early response such as entering information into crisis cleanup
    • Discuss with law enforcement better process for balancing public safety with efficiency at checkpoints

 

Crisis Cleanup

  • Marked down the burned trees into the map
  • Getting correct information is easier when you ask the clients the questions and walk them through
    • The DAC was helpful
    • 211 another option
  • SBDR volunteers have been completing ash-outs on households that are NOT in crisis cleanup

 

Government Partners

  • Helped to be aware of various conversations in EOC
  • Conference calls included all members and partners and was an example of good communication
  • Setting up the FUW fund for donations was fairly smooth, quick
    • $13500 raised
    • Additional $2500 that is through a Presbyterian Disaster Assistance grant
  • Setting up the helpcoloradonow.org website for volunteers
  • Coordinating with the Fairgrounds on needs
  • Hearing about community-offered resources, such as available temporary homes, etc
    • Bernie mentioned Amazon wish-lists
  • To be improved
    • 211 call center information
    • Situational awareness

 

  • Action Items

 

 

August 21, 2017 / by / in
Meeting Notes: 7/14 Conference Call

BoCo VOAD

Cold Springs Fire Response
Conference Call Meeting Minutes

July 14, 2016

Present:

Julie Phillips, Tiernan Doyle, Julianna Lochte, Linda Drullinger, Chris Current, Lisa Ladoux (Team Rubicon), Dennis Belz, Mary Eldred, Joycelyn Fankhouser, Lance Rettig (Goodwill), Kristi Venditti (EFAA),

I.      Announcements

  • Crisis Cleanup is activated
    • Tiernan will send a link for agencies that want to participate in the response
    • Tiernan and Julie at the DAC training people
  • Mental Health
    • Emotional/Spiritual care sub-committee are working on a proposal for mental health vouchers
  • Gift Cards
    • Food pantry will be able to use funds to get gift cards
    • Boulder County is also supplying
    • More need for gift cards
  • Cleanup Kits
    • Salvation Army bringing up clean-up kits
  • DAC is located at Nederland HS
    • Open tomorrow from 9-5
  • Volunteers helped at the checkpoint yesterday

II.     Discussion

 

Further Action-planning

  • Deacon’s closet—discuss with Chris, Kristi, Mickey and Linda for future disasters
    • Julie will connect them via email

III.   Action Items

July 14, 2016 / by / in
Meeting Notes: March 15th, 2016

BoCo VOAD
Meeting Minutes

March 15, 2015

Present: Mike Moore, Bernie Lodge, Rob Shoemberg, Joe Callahan, Peter Perez, Don Parcher, Joycelyn Fankhouser, Emily Flemming, Julie Phillips, Tiernan Doyle, Mickey Ellenwood, Lise Hildebrand, Linda Drullinger, Henry Mitchell, Tamira Jenlink, Katie Harrington, Aaron Titus, Chris Campbell, Andrew Notbohm, Mike Chard

Next meeting: April 19th from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., Mental Health Partners


 

I. Announcements

1. COVOAD Recap
2. Retreed will be coming to Lyons to plant trees. If there are any other communities in need of trees, please contact Joycelyn.
3. The next meeting will take place on April 19th at Mental Health Partners from 3-5.

II. Discussion

4. Crisis Cleanup Demo
5. Discussion and questions related to Crisis-Cleanup

  • Make sure that privacy is protected
  • Create information around how to put projects into CrisisCleanup – for VOADs and
  • Government can participate in CrisisCleanup if the VOADs request that they be
  • CrisisCleanup does not include census data mapping to target vulnerable how individuals can connect as well as how emergent groups can connect involved or if they are interacting directly with survivors of the disaster populations. There is difficulty in updating this as the situation changes, and it works better for volunteers to use local knowledge during initial response

Overarching Questions from the Crisis Cleanup Discussion:

  • What are different access points for information? Preplanning conversations with 2-1-1 and County will continue
  • How do we want to implement it as a VOAD? What do we want our guidelines to be to use it?
  • What other questions do government partners have in order to implement it?

These conversations will form part of future VOAD meetings so stay tuned.

6. VOAD Member Presentation: Foothills United Way

  • Foothills United Way is committed to fulfilling their role of ESF 19 for the county (Volunteer Management)
  • This will include mapping out how grassroots/emergent groups will become a part of the VOAD
  • Creating disaster operations plans for volunteer management
  • Ensuring that documents and website tools demonstrating the value of the VOAD during both disaster and non-disaster times are available for all
  • Foothills United Way will also be creating policy around donated goods and materials and how to handle that during a disaster

7. Countywide Activation Participation

  • Members decide that the VOAD will not be a part of the countywide activation on May 20th
  • Instead, the VOAD will discuss how the VOAD would participate and implement CrisisCleanup

8. The spiritual care and emotional wellbeing committees are now officially two separate committees of the VOAD

9. Future training ideas:

  • Shelter Training
  • Crisis Leadership
  • Volunteer Management
  • Preparedness Training
  • If you would like to see any other trainings, please contact one of the officers

III. Action Items

IV. Tabled Topics

April 20, 2016 / by / in
December 8th, 2015

BoCo VOAD

Meeting Minutes

December 8, 2015

Present:

Julie Phillips

Aaron Titus, LDS Charities

Don Parcher, Boulder Flood Relief

Amy Hardy, FHUW

Andrew Notbohm, Boulder OEM

Deanna Coffey, Boulder OEM

Lisa Hildebrandt, FHUW

Jesse Miller, HHS/CS

 

Next meeting:Tuesday, January 5, 3pm, Boulder Rural Fire Authority

I.      Announcements

May 20-21: Multi-county activation exercise

II.     Discussion

Goals for Next Year:

  1. Increase Membership
    1. Increased & Varied
    2. Vulnerable Populations
    3. Geographic Coverage
    4. Community Advocates/ Brokers/ Representatives
    5. Businesses
    6. Churches
    7. Each participant choses their Level of Engagement
  2. Engage Membership
    1. Incentives to stay involved
    2. Table tops
    3. Simulations
    4. Training
    5. Develop Tiered List of Agencies
  3. Identify Resources
  4. Form a Core “Go Team”
    1. Communicate Resources
    2. Connect Needs and Resources
    3. Training
  5. Strengthen VOAD Brand
  6. Training & Simulations
    1. May Exercises
    2. Variety of table top exercises
    3. Survey agencies to learn interest in involvement
    4. Test VOAD in Recovery Transition Plan with County
  7. Technology
    1. Needs
    2. Connecting Volunteers to Needs
    3. Crisis Cleanup
    4. org

 

Website: Tiernan will report back on updating website in accordance with feedback from members, next meeting.

III.   Action Items

 

 

IV.   Tabled Topics (Goals for 2016?)

 

January 9, 2016 / by / in
November 17th, 2015

BoCo VOAD

4th Quarterly Meeting Minutes

November 17, 2015

Present:

Julie Phillips, Dunn, Linda Drullinger, Mike Moore, Jesse Miller, Mary, Justin Bukartek, Suzanne Crawford, Julie Van Dommelin, Lise Hildebrand, Tiernan Doyle, Katie Arrington, Mickey Ellenwood, Andrew Nothbom, Aaron Titus, Joe Callahan, Mike Chard, Amy Danzl, Joan Cernich

Next meeting:

December 8th, at 3 p.m.
   

I.      Announcements

  • VOAD Meetings will continue on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
  • First Quarterly meeting of 2016 will be in February
  • Next COVOAD Quarterly Meeting and Holiday Luncheon Potluck: Tuesday, December 1st at 12 p.m., Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management in Centennial

II.     Discussion

 

  • Bylaws passed by voice vote, zero opposed, zero abstaining
  • Members and partners ratified under bylaws by voice vote, zero opposed, zero abstaining
  • Ballot accepted as is by voice vote, zero opposed, zero abstaining
  • Election results, ballots counted by Andrew Nothbom
    • Tiernan Doyle, Member at Large
    • Mickey Ellenwood, Secretary
    • Aaron Titus, Co-Chair
    • Julie Phillips, Chair
  • Tiernan reviewed the Communication and Operations Plans
  • Members interested in future gaming exercise: Meghan, Aaron, Mike, Suzanne
  • December 8th meeting: think about perfect world exercise, and future goals for 2016
  • Jesse Miller explains the EOC, the VOAD role in the ESF 6, 19, and 20 positions

 

III.   Action Items

IV.   Tabled Topics

 

January 9, 2016 / by / in
October 6th, 2015

BoCo VOAD

Meeting Minutes

October 6, 2015

Present:

Julie Phillips, Justin Bukartek, Mickey Ellenwood, Laura Seraydarian, Sarah Buss, Jesse Miller, Katie Arrington, Joycelyn Frankhouser, Meghan Dunn, Tiernan Doyle, Tamira Jenlink, Lucy McConnell, Joe Bartko, Linda Drullinger, Mary Eldred, Mike Moore, Matthew Cedar, Stephanie Walton, Joe Callahan, Joan Cernich, Andrew Notbohm, Don Parcher, Aaron Titus Joe Callahan, Linda Drullinger, Don Parcher, Tiernan Doyle, Aaron Titus

Next meeting:

October 20, 2015, 3:00 p.m., Westview Presbyterian Church, 1500 Hover St. Longmont
   

I.      Announcements

 

  • CO VOAD met last week, and Aaron attended as the BoCo VOAD representative
  • Donations and Volunteer Coordination Team (DVCT) is a partnership between the VOAD and the state, BoCo VOAD was represented at this meeting as well
  • Tech Challenge is taking place October 23-25 for coders to come up with (Oct 13 deadline) tech solutions for resiliency in Boulder County
    • There is opportunity for public comment, by a link which Tiernan will send out
    • Available Oct 12-16
    • Presentation for the ideas will be on Oct. 24
  • Cargo Bike disaster relief trials, as a part of preparedness month, people will take their bikes and carry cargo of 50+ pounds through a course to simulate disaster response (by bike)
    • VOAD members can be checkpoint stations
    • Hand radio operators needed
    • Will take place in September 2016
  • Don Parcher updated the group on his progress with the Resource Guide, and is working on descriptions for the organizations
    • Anyone will suggestions should email him

II.     Discussion

 

Bylaws

  • Chairperson
    • Responsibilities: all members of the VOAD should be building relationships and recruiting more members; the Chairperson doesn’t necessarily need to be the lead for it, especially in the coming year with the help of the Project Coordinator; communicate to organizations during an emergency/disaster
  • Co-Chair
    • Support person for all duties of the chair; original language intended to not concentrate all responsibilities to one person; would not define as a deputy
  • Secretary
    • Minutes will be distributed by email for now, will not write into the bylaws to keep it flexible; Members will be voting on the minutes from here on out, and will be posted to the website as soon as approved by the VOAD
  • Meeting Structure
    • Proposal that going forward, these are the BoCo VOAD meetings, no longer “launch group” meetings; no change in frequency (twice a month) or in openness (open to everyone); no change in Quarterly meetings
    • Coordinating Committee meetings: for officers and for up to three At Large Members; proposal that Tiernan (Project Coordinator) serve as one At Large Member; proposal to fill the other two roles with persons later in the year (or decide not to fill them at all, until it is deemed necessary by the group);
    • Should meetings be open to the public? There is a clause in the bylaws that includes a provision for anyone invited, to allow room to remove anyone who is disruptive to the meetings; only Members in Good Standing can vote, but members of the public can be invited to any meeting, but will not be able to vote
      • Anyone who expresses interest in attending may be invited
    • Voting
      • Proposal is votes can always happen at the BoCo VOAD meetings and Quarterly Meetings, the difference is the level of commitment that Members want to have in regards to the VOAD. Some Members may only want to come to “special” meetings and not be bothered with the twice-monthly meetings; all Members will be invited to come to any of the meetings; there will be one Annual Election Meeting, also which will be open to all voting Members, and they will be specially encouraged to attend
      • Only Members in Good Standing can vote; Partners do not have the ability to vote; members of the public will not have the ability to vote
    • Membership
      • Membership Class: you are either a Member or Partner; Members can be either in “Good Standing” or not in “Good Standing”
        • “Good Standing” is a requirement for voting; the only requirements are that the Member shows up and that they have not been removed
        • Some Partners may qualify as being Voting Members, but only seek to be Partners (which is not in the Bylaws); Aaron wants to add in a line that mentions Members who qualify as Members but opt to be Partners
      • Individuals are different than Organizations; if an organization is not being represented accurately by an individual who claims that organization, it is up to them internally to find a consensus
      • Suggestion by group: to define Members with voting ability as “Voting Member” in the Bylaws to remove ambiguity
      • Members must appoint one representative, and are required to attend one meeting per year (which can include any of the different types of meetings)
      • Secretary will keep track of Member attendance at each meeting
    • Guiding Principles:
      • Joycelyn proposes having Guiding Principles; Julie suggests tabling that topic and revisiting it at another time. This is suggested to give flexibility to the VOAD to have functions that do not necessarily need to be outlined in the Bylaws
      • Aaron mentions the Points of Consensus from the National VOAD, which may be a start for this
    • December/LTFRG wind-down
      • Thought is to come back to VOAD in January and to have more conversations regarding the “Perfect World” scenarios and to discuss a group where to go next
      • The next two months may be focused on the transition of LTFRG closing down

 

Project Coordinator Work Plan

  • Is able to provide support in a number of ways (presented on slide); Julie is recommending that Tiernan serve as tech representative to address the identified need for tech solutions, she can gather information, resources, and can present back to the group; suggests that work for the Project Coordinator does not have on-going work, but projects with start and end dates

 

LTFRG Transition

  • Summary: different committees and different functions may need to transition from LTFRG sooner, and there are specific areas that will need continual activities: Construction, Unmet Needs, and Case Management and there are plans for those on-going needs. There is not a clear transition plan for Volunteer Coordination or for Emotional/Spiritual Care. How can these both be transitioned back to the community? Since LTFRG cannot be ongoing resources for these, there are conversations around how to best transition those to other entities:
    • Emotional/Spiritual Care (Behavioral Health Committee); how to support people in the community and to acquire resources
      • Interested persons: Tamara, Linda Drullinger
    • Volunteer Coordination (Joe, Stephanie Walton, Deb Campbell); individuals have volunteer needs that need to be addressed before Winter. Stephanie says to take the list of needs to try to maximize the resources.
      • Interested persons: Linda Drullinger, Don Parcher

 

Quarterly Meeting

  • Choosing a date: November 17, 12, 19
  • Meeting places: Four Mile can be a good meeting place; it can be a draw to more of the mountain community, which is good for a Quarterly meeting; the Public Health Building where there are large meeting spaces; Louisville has Alfalfa’s Community Room (which is a nice large space); Linda Drullinger will put out a note to the churches; Julie suggests finding a church in the East Boulder area;
    • Will follow up with Linda Drullinger on needs for a space
  • Content:
    • Voting on the Bylaws
    • Elections for Officers
    • Don Parcher suggestion: Introductions of everyone; what people would like to see in the event of a disaster, lay out expectations; communications diagrams; operations diagrams
      • Julie says the diagrams can be a good thing to focus on for the next two weeks
    • Sarah suggestion: LTFRG shout out for more help, discuss the committees that are forming

 

III.   Action Items

Bylaws

  • Coordinating Committee will take the group’s recommendations from today’s discussion and will clean up the Bylaws, distribute them electronically, and will expect further feedback to come through email thread
    • There will be a deadline for comments

NOTE: (Typo: there are two different versions of Article VI and no Article VII)

 

Quarterly Meeting space

  • Email ideas to Julie and Tiernan for the Quarterly Meeting
  • Julie will send needs for the meeting to Linda Drullinger, and she will reach out to churches

IV.   Tabled Topics

 

  • Resource Guide
    • Work with Don on creating a Member list and gathering descriptions; will circle back to this topic later
  • Guiding Principles
  • Communications Plan
  • Operations Plan
January 9, 2016 / by / in