bocovoad

Author's Posts:
July 10th Weather Forecast

SUNDAY

From the National Weather Service:
An increasing southwest flow aloft will bring windy conditions to the higher terrain today. This, combined with hot temperatures and low relative humidities will increase the fire danger over the higher terrain and along the Front Range.

MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

Dry and warm conditions will prevail through Wednesday. Heightened fire weather concerns will continue on Monday with gusty winds to 35 MPH in the mountains and 25 MPH on the plains combined with low relative humidity values. Temperatures will cool slightly for Monday with highs in the upper 80s.

Tuesday and Wednesday will be dry and warm, back into the low 90s. A cold front Wednesday night will increase moisture over the region, bringing a slight chance of afternoon convection on the plains by Thursday afternoon and evening along with slightly cooler temperatures. Friday and Saturday will have a slight chance of afternoon storms with
temperatures reaching back into the mid 90s.

July 10, 2016 / by / in
Fire Ban: Boulder County Sheriff’s Office

Details about the Fire Ban in unincorporated Boulder County…

NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1. A Fire Ban in effect and open burning and the sale and use of fireworks is prohibited in ALL of unincorporated Boulder County.

2. This order also excludes any federal, state, or local officer or member of an organized rescue, police or firefighting agency in the performance of an official duty.

3. Because sparks and hot ashes from any source contribute to the fire danger, the discharge of all fireworks including permissible fireworks, as defined in C.R.S. §12-28-101(8), as amended, outside incorporated city limits and within the unincorporated areas of Boulder County described in paragraph 1, is prohibited. In addition smoking outside incorporated city limits is strongly discouraged except within an enclosed motor vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.

4. This Fire Ban including a ban on open burning and the sale and discharge of fireworks in Boulder County shall be in effect beginning at 5 p.m. on Saturday, July 9, 2016, and shall remain in effect unless amended or rescinded by the Boulder County Sheriff or the Board of County Commissioners of Boulder County.

5. Any person who violates this Fire Ban commits a class 2 petty offense and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of five hundred dollars ($500) for a first offense, seven hundred and fifty dollars ($750) for a second offense, and one thousand dollars ($1000) for a third and any subsequent offense. The penalty assessment procedure provided in Section 16-2-201, C.R.S. shall be followed by the arresting Sheriff’s Deputy or other officer for any violation of these Level 1 Fire Restrictions, and the graduated fine schedule set forth herein shall be followed when issuing any summons and complaint in accordance with such procedure.

ADOPTED this 9th day of July, 2016

BOULDER COUNTY SHERIFF

Joseph K. Pelle, Boulder County Sheriff’s Office

July 10, 2016 / by / in
Meeting Notes: March 15th, 2016

BoCo VOAD
Meeting Minutes

March 15, 2015

Present: Mike Moore, Bernie Lodge, Rob Shoemberg, Joe Callahan, Peter Perez, Don Parcher, Joycelyn Fankhouser, Emily Flemming, Julie Phillips, Tiernan Doyle, Mickey Ellenwood, Lise Hildebrand, Linda Drullinger, Henry Mitchell, Tamira Jenlink, Katie Harrington, Aaron Titus, Chris Campbell, Andrew Notbohm, Mike Chard

Next meeting: April 19th from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., Mental Health Partners


 

I. Announcements

1. COVOAD Recap
2. Retreed will be coming to Lyons to plant trees. If there are any other communities in need of trees, please contact Joycelyn.
3. The next meeting will take place on April 19th at Mental Health Partners from 3-5.

II. Discussion

4. Crisis Cleanup Demo
5. Discussion and questions related to Crisis-Cleanup

  • Make sure that privacy is protected
  • Create information around how to put projects into CrisisCleanup – for VOADs and
  • Government can participate in CrisisCleanup if the VOADs request that they be
  • CrisisCleanup does not include census data mapping to target vulnerable how individuals can connect as well as how emergent groups can connect involved or if they are interacting directly with survivors of the disaster populations. There is difficulty in updating this as the situation changes, and it works better for volunteers to use local knowledge during initial response

Overarching Questions from the Crisis Cleanup Discussion:

  • What are different access points for information? Preplanning conversations with 2-1-1 and County will continue
  • How do we want to implement it as a VOAD? What do we want our guidelines to be to use it?
  • What other questions do government partners have in order to implement it?

These conversations will form part of future VOAD meetings so stay tuned.

6. VOAD Member Presentation: Foothills United Way

  • Foothills United Way is committed to fulfilling their role of ESF 19 for the county (Volunteer Management)
  • This will include mapping out how grassroots/emergent groups will become a part of the VOAD
  • Creating disaster operations plans for volunteer management
  • Ensuring that documents and website tools demonstrating the value of the VOAD during both disaster and non-disaster times are available for all
  • Foothills United Way will also be creating policy around donated goods and materials and how to handle that during a disaster

7. Countywide Activation Participation

  • Members decide that the VOAD will not be a part of the countywide activation on May 20th
  • Instead, the VOAD will discuss how the VOAD would participate and implement CrisisCleanup

8. The spiritual care and emotional wellbeing committees are now officially two separate committees of the VOAD

9. Future training ideas:

  • Shelter Training
  • Crisis Leadership
  • Volunteer Management
  • Preparedness Training
  • If you would like to see any other trainings, please contact one of the officers

III. Action Items

IV. Tabled Topics

April 20, 2016 / by / in
White House and FEMA Seek Colorado Faith Partners

The White House Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships & FEMA’s Individual and Community Preparedness Division are seeking local houses of worship in Colorado to participate in a series of disaster drills & exercises. No cost on the congregation’s part and up to them to decide on the hazard/threat they’re most interested in. 

 

Should you know a large congregation that may have interest, please have them reach out to Daniel Nyquist, FEMA Region VIII’s Community Preparedness Officer at Daniel.Nyquist@fema.dhs.gov for more information.

 

April 18, 2016 / by / in
OEM April Storm Update

 Presently:

There is a low pressure system over the four corners right now causing the red flag warnings over eastern Colorado.

 Friday:

A cold front will move in tomorrow afternoon causing windy conditions in the 20-25 mph range. The cold front will cause a potential for severe thunderstorms over eastern Colorado and most likely flooding conditions by Sunday.

 Locally we will have scattered showers develop in the afternoon with the chance for a few isolated intense thunderstorms here in Boulder County. The rain will turn to snow Friday night as temps drop to only around freezing. There is a winter storm watch issued until midnight Friday but could turn into a warning at that time or earlier.

 The low pressure system will move over northern New Mexico and heavy snow will fall over the Palmer Divide, urban corridor and the foothills with rain continuing over north eastern Colorado.

 Sunday:

Lighter snow fall throughout the day and decreasing overnight.

 As you Wake Up on Monday Morning:

Urban Corridor up to Fort Collins – 8-14 inches

Foothills from El Paso to Wyoming – 24-48 inches

Palmer Divide west 2 feet and east of Palmer Divide 12 inches.

Weld County – 4-8 Inches

 

I included the numbers for surrounding counties for people commuting or having business in other counties.

 

Storm Characteristics and Impacts

This is a very wet snow,  for example Lincoln County on the Colorado / Kansas line will get 8” of rain by Monday morning and most likely flooding along the Platte River. This also gives us an idea if the snow were to be rain in Boulder it  would not be good because of the flood potential if 8” of rain fell instead of snow. We will be just below freezing again so I am expecting snow we will be watching closely.

 

The remainder of the week is expected to be cooler than normal so the run-off will not be large and then there is another potential for a big storm next weekend NWS is watching.

 

Impacts will be winter driving in the foothills, trees branches / limbs down, utility interruptions and potential roof collapse of buildings with a flat pitch roof due to added live loads from snow. Public health risks during heavy snows are listed below so be careful.

 

In a study several years ago, for example, researchers at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Ohio found that an average of 11,500 snow-shoveling-related injuries and medical emergencies occur annually in the United States. More than half involve soft-tissue injuries, as well as lacerations, bone fractures and harm from slips and falls. Cardiac-related injuries account for fewer than 10 percent of the total cases, but between 1990 and 2006, they comprised more than half of the hospitalizations and all of the more than 1,600 deaths. The researchers also found that people over 55 were more than four times as likely as younger patients to experience heart-related problems while shoveling snow. Men were twice as likely as women to experience symptoms.

 

Bottom line it is stout Spring Storm and April is one of biggest snow producing months. This is not Snowmageddon 2016 but after seeing the dangers of shoveling it is more accurately super wet snow shovelingmaggedon.

 

We will generate an incident in WebEOC tomorrow as we wind down the day and update any impacts and forecast changes in Web EOC. OEM will monitor as needed and if requested will activate the EOC to support operations and provide consequence management services.

 

Remember use your legs to lift!

Michael N. Chard, MS, CO-CEM

Director

Boulder Office of Emergency Management

303-441-3653– Office

303-565-7878– Cell

3280 Airport Road

Boulder, CO 80301

April 15, 2016 / by / in
December 8th, 2015

BoCo VOAD

Meeting Minutes

December 8, 2015

Present:

Julie Phillips

Aaron Titus, LDS Charities

Don Parcher, Boulder Flood Relief

Amy Hardy, FHUW

Andrew Notbohm, Boulder OEM

Deanna Coffey, Boulder OEM

Lisa Hildebrandt, FHUW

Jesse Miller, HHS/CS

 

Next meeting:Tuesday, January 5, 3pm, Boulder Rural Fire Authority

I.      Announcements

May 20-21: Multi-county activation exercise

II.     Discussion

Goals for Next Year:

  1. Increase Membership
    1. Increased & Varied
    2. Vulnerable Populations
    3. Geographic Coverage
    4. Community Advocates/ Brokers/ Representatives
    5. Businesses
    6. Churches
    7. Each participant choses their Level of Engagement
  2. Engage Membership
    1. Incentives to stay involved
    2. Table tops
    3. Simulations
    4. Training
    5. Develop Tiered List of Agencies
  3. Identify Resources
  4. Form a Core “Go Team”
    1. Communicate Resources
    2. Connect Needs and Resources
    3. Training
  5. Strengthen VOAD Brand
  6. Training & Simulations
    1. May Exercises
    2. Variety of table top exercises
    3. Survey agencies to learn interest in involvement
    4. Test VOAD in Recovery Transition Plan with County
  7. Technology
    1. Needs
    2. Connecting Volunteers to Needs
    3. Crisis Cleanup
    4. org

 

Website: Tiernan will report back on updating website in accordance with feedback from members, next meeting.

III.   Action Items

 

 

IV.   Tabled Topics (Goals for 2016?)

 

January 9, 2016 / by / in
November 17th, 2015

BoCo VOAD

4th Quarterly Meeting Minutes

November 17, 2015

Present:

Julie Phillips, Dunn, Linda Drullinger, Mike Moore, Jesse Miller, Mary, Justin Bukartek, Suzanne Crawford, Julie Van Dommelin, Lise Hildebrand, Tiernan Doyle, Katie Arrington, Mickey Ellenwood, Andrew Nothbom, Aaron Titus, Joe Callahan, Mike Chard, Amy Danzl, Joan Cernich

Next meeting:

December 8th, at 3 p.m.
   

I.      Announcements

  • VOAD Meetings will continue on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
  • First Quarterly meeting of 2016 will be in February
  • Next COVOAD Quarterly Meeting and Holiday Luncheon Potluck: Tuesday, December 1st at 12 p.m., Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management in Centennial

II.     Discussion

 

  • Bylaws passed by voice vote, zero opposed, zero abstaining
  • Members and partners ratified under bylaws by voice vote, zero opposed, zero abstaining
  • Ballot accepted as is by voice vote, zero opposed, zero abstaining
  • Election results, ballots counted by Andrew Nothbom
    • Tiernan Doyle, Member at Large
    • Mickey Ellenwood, Secretary
    • Aaron Titus, Co-Chair
    • Julie Phillips, Chair
  • Tiernan reviewed the Communication and Operations Plans
  • Members interested in future gaming exercise: Meghan, Aaron, Mike, Suzanne
  • December 8th meeting: think about perfect world exercise, and future goals for 2016
  • Jesse Miller explains the EOC, the VOAD role in the ESF 6, 19, and 20 positions

 

III.   Action Items

IV.   Tabled Topics

 

January 9, 2016 / by / in
October 6th, 2015

BoCo VOAD

Meeting Minutes

October 6, 2015

Present:

Julie Phillips, Justin Bukartek, Mickey Ellenwood, Laura Seraydarian, Sarah Buss, Jesse Miller, Katie Arrington, Joycelyn Frankhouser, Meghan Dunn, Tiernan Doyle, Tamira Jenlink, Lucy McConnell, Joe Bartko, Linda Drullinger, Mary Eldred, Mike Moore, Matthew Cedar, Stephanie Walton, Joe Callahan, Joan Cernich, Andrew Notbohm, Don Parcher, Aaron Titus Joe Callahan, Linda Drullinger, Don Parcher, Tiernan Doyle, Aaron Titus

Next meeting:

October 20, 2015, 3:00 p.m., Westview Presbyterian Church, 1500 Hover St. Longmont
   

I.      Announcements

 

  • CO VOAD met last week, and Aaron attended as the BoCo VOAD representative
  • Donations and Volunteer Coordination Team (DVCT) is a partnership between the VOAD and the state, BoCo VOAD was represented at this meeting as well
  • Tech Challenge is taking place October 23-25 for coders to come up with (Oct 13 deadline) tech solutions for resiliency in Boulder County
    • There is opportunity for public comment, by a link which Tiernan will send out
    • Available Oct 12-16
    • Presentation for the ideas will be on Oct. 24
  • Cargo Bike disaster relief trials, as a part of preparedness month, people will take their bikes and carry cargo of 50+ pounds through a course to simulate disaster response (by bike)
    • VOAD members can be checkpoint stations
    • Hand radio operators needed
    • Will take place in September 2016
  • Don Parcher updated the group on his progress with the Resource Guide, and is working on descriptions for the organizations
    • Anyone will suggestions should email him

II.     Discussion

 

Bylaws

  • Chairperson
    • Responsibilities: all members of the VOAD should be building relationships and recruiting more members; the Chairperson doesn’t necessarily need to be the lead for it, especially in the coming year with the help of the Project Coordinator; communicate to organizations during an emergency/disaster
  • Co-Chair
    • Support person for all duties of the chair; original language intended to not concentrate all responsibilities to one person; would not define as a deputy
  • Secretary
    • Minutes will be distributed by email for now, will not write into the bylaws to keep it flexible; Members will be voting on the minutes from here on out, and will be posted to the website as soon as approved by the VOAD
  • Meeting Structure
    • Proposal that going forward, these are the BoCo VOAD meetings, no longer “launch group” meetings; no change in frequency (twice a month) or in openness (open to everyone); no change in Quarterly meetings
    • Coordinating Committee meetings: for officers and for up to three At Large Members; proposal that Tiernan (Project Coordinator) serve as one At Large Member; proposal to fill the other two roles with persons later in the year (or decide not to fill them at all, until it is deemed necessary by the group);
    • Should meetings be open to the public? There is a clause in the bylaws that includes a provision for anyone invited, to allow room to remove anyone who is disruptive to the meetings; only Members in Good Standing can vote, but members of the public can be invited to any meeting, but will not be able to vote
      • Anyone who expresses interest in attending may be invited
    • Voting
      • Proposal is votes can always happen at the BoCo VOAD meetings and Quarterly Meetings, the difference is the level of commitment that Members want to have in regards to the VOAD. Some Members may only want to come to “special” meetings and not be bothered with the twice-monthly meetings; all Members will be invited to come to any of the meetings; there will be one Annual Election Meeting, also which will be open to all voting Members, and they will be specially encouraged to attend
      • Only Members in Good Standing can vote; Partners do not have the ability to vote; members of the public will not have the ability to vote
    • Membership
      • Membership Class: you are either a Member or Partner; Members can be either in “Good Standing” or not in “Good Standing”
        • “Good Standing” is a requirement for voting; the only requirements are that the Member shows up and that they have not been removed
        • Some Partners may qualify as being Voting Members, but only seek to be Partners (which is not in the Bylaws); Aaron wants to add in a line that mentions Members who qualify as Members but opt to be Partners
      • Individuals are different than Organizations; if an organization is not being represented accurately by an individual who claims that organization, it is up to them internally to find a consensus
      • Suggestion by group: to define Members with voting ability as “Voting Member” in the Bylaws to remove ambiguity
      • Members must appoint one representative, and are required to attend one meeting per year (which can include any of the different types of meetings)
      • Secretary will keep track of Member attendance at each meeting
    • Guiding Principles:
      • Joycelyn proposes having Guiding Principles; Julie suggests tabling that topic and revisiting it at another time. This is suggested to give flexibility to the VOAD to have functions that do not necessarily need to be outlined in the Bylaws
      • Aaron mentions the Points of Consensus from the National VOAD, which may be a start for this
    • December/LTFRG wind-down
      • Thought is to come back to VOAD in January and to have more conversations regarding the “Perfect World” scenarios and to discuss a group where to go next
      • The next two months may be focused on the transition of LTFRG closing down

 

Project Coordinator Work Plan

  • Is able to provide support in a number of ways (presented on slide); Julie is recommending that Tiernan serve as tech representative to address the identified need for tech solutions, she can gather information, resources, and can present back to the group; suggests that work for the Project Coordinator does not have on-going work, but projects with start and end dates

 

LTFRG Transition

  • Summary: different committees and different functions may need to transition from LTFRG sooner, and there are specific areas that will need continual activities: Construction, Unmet Needs, and Case Management and there are plans for those on-going needs. There is not a clear transition plan for Volunteer Coordination or for Emotional/Spiritual Care. How can these both be transitioned back to the community? Since LTFRG cannot be ongoing resources for these, there are conversations around how to best transition those to other entities:
    • Emotional/Spiritual Care (Behavioral Health Committee); how to support people in the community and to acquire resources
      • Interested persons: Tamara, Linda Drullinger
    • Volunteer Coordination (Joe, Stephanie Walton, Deb Campbell); individuals have volunteer needs that need to be addressed before Winter. Stephanie says to take the list of needs to try to maximize the resources.
      • Interested persons: Linda Drullinger, Don Parcher

 

Quarterly Meeting

  • Choosing a date: November 17, 12, 19
  • Meeting places: Four Mile can be a good meeting place; it can be a draw to more of the mountain community, which is good for a Quarterly meeting; the Public Health Building where there are large meeting spaces; Louisville has Alfalfa’s Community Room (which is a nice large space); Linda Drullinger will put out a note to the churches; Julie suggests finding a church in the East Boulder area;
    • Will follow up with Linda Drullinger on needs for a space
  • Content:
    • Voting on the Bylaws
    • Elections for Officers
    • Don Parcher suggestion: Introductions of everyone; what people would like to see in the event of a disaster, lay out expectations; communications diagrams; operations diagrams
      • Julie says the diagrams can be a good thing to focus on for the next two weeks
    • Sarah suggestion: LTFRG shout out for more help, discuss the committees that are forming

 

III.   Action Items

Bylaws

  • Coordinating Committee will take the group’s recommendations from today’s discussion and will clean up the Bylaws, distribute them electronically, and will expect further feedback to come through email thread
    • There will be a deadline for comments

NOTE: (Typo: there are two different versions of Article VI and no Article VII)

 

Quarterly Meeting space

  • Email ideas to Julie and Tiernan for the Quarterly Meeting
  • Julie will send needs for the meeting to Linda Drullinger, and she will reach out to churches

IV.   Tabled Topics

 

  • Resource Guide
    • Work with Don on creating a Member list and gathering descriptions; will circle back to this topic later
  • Guiding Principles
  • Communications Plan
  • Operations Plan
January 9, 2016 / by / in
September 1st, 2015

BoCo VOAD Launch Meeting

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 – 3:00-5:00pm

Boulder Rural Fire Protection District

 

Minutes

Attendance: Bernard Lodge (Salvation Army), John Berglund (Salvation Army), Aaron Titus (VisionLink, LDS Charities), Don Parcher (Boulder Flood Relief), Mike Moore (UMCOR), Linda Drullinger (Boulder County Faith Network) Andrew Notbohm (OEM), Justin (OEM), Amy Danzl (OEM), Mike Chard (OEM)

 

Announcements

Next Launch Group Meeting will be October 6th, 2015 3:00-5:00pm

Location TBD

 

Agenda Items

  1. Bylaws
    1. Everyone should review the draft bylaws and send any suggested changes to Julie Phillips (Julie.Phillips@unitedwayfoothills.org), Aaron Titus (titus@visionlink.org), Mickey Ellenwood (mickey.ellenwood@redcross.org), or Tiernan Doyle (tiernan@bocostrong.org). Any final changes should be sent in by 10/6.
  2. Officer roles & responsibilities
    1. Officers will meet to finalize this by 10/6.
  3. Project Coordinator job description
    1. Work for Tiernan goes through Julie, so if you have any ideas or need help then please run the ideas past Julie.
    2. Julie will work with Tiernan to finalize draft of 6 month plan for VOAD support to be approved on 10/6.
  4. 3rd Quarterly Meeting debrief
    1. Don suggests that introductions take place at the next meeting
    2. Most churches have Wednesday night meetings so another night would be better
    3. Data from the exercise will be compiled and sent out
  5. Next quarterly meeting time
    1. Thursday, October 29th in Lyons
    2. 5:30-7:00
  6. Membership Info (phone, text, email) & 2-4 sentences about how agency responds in a disaster and in what phase of the disaster.
    1. Don will work on contacting organizations and obtaining their mission statements and brief responses
  7. LTFRG Transition
    1. Subcommittee will work with Stephanie.
  8. Create a tool to collect/assess needs.
    1. Think about problem statements for the Understanding Risk tech competition which will take place October 24th-25th.
  9. Brainstorm membership list before October 6th
    1. Who is missing from the list? Who should be invited and recruited?
    2. Please send ideas to the officers or bring them to the October 6th meeting

 

 

Breakout Groups:

  • Non-disaster Information Communications Plan
    • What is the value of having a communications plan?
      • all on the same page
      • uniform information
      • consistency of process – know where to go to get information
      • vetted information
      • information sent out from specific people
    • What information should be going out
      • quarterly meeting notes
      • training and exercises
      • calendar updates
      • monthly newsletter with info from member orgs
    • Tools: Mail Chimp, Website, Member list, Google Docs
    • Process:
      • Info comes into POC
      • Info collected and emailed to communications sub-committee/officer
      • vet/verify/make sure it’s appropriate information
      • if not appropriate, POC will kickback info to sender
      • determine recipient group/audience (whole VOAD group or sub group)
      • create/edit information
      • determine whether it’s critical
        • if not, parking lot it for the newsletter
        • if critical, send out ASAP with following steps
      • send to POC
      • Update calendar
      • Add to (monthly) newsletter
      • Send out
      • If bounced back, contact membership committee
    • Create: Information POC to perform
      • calendar updates
      • additions to newsletter
      • update contact information
    • Emergency Communications Process:

Principles

  • Space for transparency and environment for collaborative accountability
  • Officers are not going to tell organizations what to do
  • Officers have responsibility for facilitating four Cs of VOAD
    • reach out to people not at table and bring them in

Actions

  • Event happens
  • Officers convene through conference call/email/etc
  • Email announcement goes out to VOAD list with current situation and information about further communications
  • Meeting is scheduled by the group – typically a conference call
    • who/what/where/when/why: roll call for who is available and what they can do
    • report out from each group on where they are and what they’re doing
  • Meeting repeated at suitable time increments
  • Ask whether VOAD can help with immediate unmet needs
    • if yes, then form plans for each need
    • report back at the next meeting (scheduled as needed during the incident)
    • if no, then work the problem, make the information available to as many people as possible to find out who can help
  • If no telecommunications possible? what is the backup plan?
    • VOADs are second responders, not first responders
    • 80% communications usually restored within 72 hours

 

  • Operations Coordination Process:
    • Situational awareness from the initial disaster communication
    • leaders from each organization call into VOAD
    • organizations analyze their own capacity
    • ESF 6 and19 can connect to VOADs for needs and opportunities
    • Upload needs to database (actual database TBD)
    • VOADs can then claim projects
    • Go out and help
    • Report status of needs and projects
    • Check back in with incident coordinators for each project
    • Do needs still exist?
    • Check back in with incident coordinators for each project
    • When needs are complete, move to After Action Report

In order to complete this process:

  • Share existing database process
  • initial shared database (establish best practices/guidelines for using the database of needs)
  • ESF 19 Planning Meeting
  • ESF 19 Training
  • AAR Process
  • Sit Rep Template
  • Membership Capacity
  • Membership Code of Conduct
  • Table Top

 

October 6th meeting goals:

  1. Approve bylaws so they are ready to be approved by membership at 4th quarterly meeting. (everyone will need to read ahead of time)
  2. Approve roles & responsibilities for officers.
  3. Approve 6-month plan for Project Coordinator.
  4. Membership list with contact info and brief description of what agencies do. This will be shared by 10/6 and everyone will need to review.
  5. Determine agenda/content of 4th quarterly meeting.
  6. Long-range goal setting/timeline:
    1. Revisit Perfect World goals –what do we work on next?
    2. What do we need to do to support LTFRG transition?
    3. What committee or work groups need to be formed?

 

January 9, 2016 / by / in
June 16th, 2015

BoCo VOAD Meeting

June 16th , 2015

Attending: Julie Phillips (chair), Tiernan Doyle, Katie Arrington, Amy Danzl, Rebecca Lawrence, Mike Chard, Don Parcher, Amy Hardy, Rebecca Shannon, Mike Moore, Stephanie Walton, Matt Cedar, Joycelyn Fankhouser

Debrief Tornado Response:

Rebecca S. and Julie just came from orientation for ESF 19 and 20 at the EOC

What questions did the recent event raise for the group?

Impressed with the Larimer County VOAD setting up the DAC for tornado victims. Should the Boulder County VOAD be ready to set up a similar DAC?

What responsibilities does the VOAD have and what does the OEM do?

When is the VOAD activated and what does activation mean?

 

The Larimer VOAD is incorporated into the OEM structure. They are working out how the Commissioners and Sheriff Department coordinate response

Boulder County operates differently. The OEM knew that 5 structures were destroyed early on.

The core activation only lasted until midnight.

As it is also the interface with NWS, the OEM was tracking the storm prior to the event. The OEM receives information, processes it, and primes the area for it so there is not widespread panic. This tornado did not appear on radar and was difficult to see with hail and heavy rain.

 

The Boulder activation was small and over quickly

The core activation of the Boulder OEM included Police, Fire, Public Works, ESF 6 – Mass Care and sheltering as well as Public Health. Decisions were made with Red Cross to help the few families affected. Lifebridge was on standby, but it was still in the tornado zone so an alternate shelter will also be identified for future events.

 

Activation of ESF 19 and 20, 2-1-1, etc. is decided by the Boulder County Housing and Human Services division. The VOAD should tie into that group to create tighter connection with the EOC if desired. They also decide on DAC location and level of support needed.

 

The decision was made to hold joint DAC with Larimer and Boulder County since event was so close to the border. This event was not close to triggering a disaster declaration in the county.

 

The EOC was tracking other weather events, and is not in charge of calling out victim advocates. That is at the discretion of the incident command.

 

Communications

Public Facing Communication:

Crisis Cleanup would be a great add to the website so people could register for VOAD help

Having an informational page will provide with targeted contacts for each event will provide a backup plan for when 2-1-1 is not active.

It would be possible to provide a VOAD email to contact in order to answer general questions, but it is vital to ensure that VOAD doesn’t provide case management.

The VOAD will not be activated by the EOC, but it is a network of services for the community.

 

Facilitating VOAD communications:

 

  • Educate local volunteer agencies as to applications and tools that will help them become aware of potential weather/disaster events
  • Work with local agencies to get ready to activate
  • The value of the VOAD comes from the information provided by its member network. The OEM will push the VOAD to ESF 6 to ask if they want VOAD to activate
  • Make contact/call plan before weather event
  • Separate notification process and communication process
  • Create multiple notification processes in order to get people together in the same place at the same time so they can communicate.
  • Identify the trigger points. Either work with Housing and Human Services to decide on triggers or determine them internally, but make sure they are defined.

 

The Communication Discussion will be tabled until the next meeting

The agenda for the next quarterly meeting will include updates on membership, how the BoCo VOAD will be communicating, update from the Larimer County VOAD on how they acted during the tornado, updates from the Launch Group.

The next Launch Group meeting will be a facilitated discussion on the perfect world scenario: What would the BoCoVOAD do in a perfect world?

July 7th, 3:00-4:30 will be the perfect world discussion led by Mike Chard

July 21st will be the meeting to check in before the next quarterly meeting

January 9, 2016 / by / in